A recent report has been released to ensure that schools are handling pupil’s data in the correct way, in line with the law.
Here at DataSpace we develop different data management services to enable the upmost data security. If you run a school then managing pupil’s data in line with the Data Protection Act is essential.
A survey of over 400 schools has shown that many schools still need to make sure that they are complying with the current data rules and regulations. The ICO released a number of tips to help those who handle school related data withe Louise Byers, ICO Head of Good practice releasing this statement, â€œI’d urge teachers and heads to take a look at our recommendations and make sure they are complying with the law. The sensitive personal data that schools handle means it is crucial they get this right, and we hope the ICO’s report will help them achieve that.â€
Here are a few top tips:
- Make sure you notify the ICO of what personal data you are handling
- Let pupils and parents know what data is stored, why you use CCTV and ensure that if data is required the appropriate consent is gained
- Data storage – keep it safely secured with proper data storage. Password security is essential
- Data disposal – if confidential information needs to be disposed of then ensure this is done in accordance with the law
- Make sure that all staff know what to do should there be a breach of data
If you want to find out more ways to manage your school’s data effectively then why not contact us here, at DataSpace. We have back-up systems, off-site data storage and confidential destruction services to help take care of your data needs.